Originally called The Eldorado Arms Hotel, the Inn became the town’s most sophisticated social hub. In the 1950's and 1960's the Eldorado was the hub, the place where locals gathered with friends, where visitors stayed, where generations married and celebrated. The town was small, about 20,000 residents only, but it was a place of energy, enthusiasm and vision.
During this era, Hotel Eldorado hosted dog shows, garden parties and croquet with Kelowna’s then Mayor John Hindle and his wife Jennifer graciously welcoming guests. John would pad about the Eldorado barefoot, wishing all a good night when it came time to retire, leaving his patrons to the famous honour bar. One of those celebrated patrons was no doubt Glen Mervyn, fresh from his silver medal race in Canada's eight-man scull at the 1960 Rome Olympics. Evidence of this great sporting heritage can be seen hanging in our Lakeside Dining Room, Lounge and pool area.